Choosing a Confirmation Sponsor
A confirmation sponsor is a person who is:
- someone other than a parent (canon 874.5)
- over the age of 16 (Candidates are asked to discuss possible sponsors under the age of 18 with Confirmation Coordinator. More mature sponsors are recommended.)
- a fully-initiated Catholic (has completed Baptism/First Penance/First Eucharist/Confirmation)
- actively living the faith (fully committed to the mission of the Church and participates in Mass on regular basis)
- willing to give time/commitment to walk with Candidate through the Confirmation process
As the two sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation are connected, when possible, the Baptismal Sponsor (Godparent) is the preferred Sponsor for Confirmation.
Declaration of Sponsor Form (Due Sept. 10, 2017)
(If you have any questions regarding Sponsor choice, please contact the Confirmation Coordinator for assistance.)
Candidate and Sponsor Responsibilities
Table of Contents: What is a Sponsor?/What Do Sponsors Do?/Twenty Tips for Sponsors/But How Do I Share Faith?/Building the Relationship One on One/What About Confirmation?
1. Attend the Candidate and Sponsor session on Sunday, September 25, 2016 followed by the Rite of Welcome and Commitment Mass. (Please come dressed up for this session/Mass).
2. The teen candidate and sponsor will work together on three activities. Candidate and sponsor do these activities outside of Confirmation sessions. The Candidate will submit a report for each of these activities.
3. The candidate and sponsor will go to the Confirmation Rehearsal (date TBD). If sponsor is unable to attend the rehearsal, a parent should fill in and update the sponsor on what to do.
4. The candidate and sponsor will come to the Rite of Confirmation (date TBD). Please meet at Borromeo Hall by 4pm.
Dress Code for Confirmation Day: slacks and long sleeved collar shirt, tie, and dress shoes for guys--jacket optional; dress/slacks/skirt (modest length) and modest blouse for girls. Please be sure that shoes are comfortable height for walking as you'll be walking from the hall to the church and then processing, in and out and going up for Confirmation and Communion during the Mass.